ArcMap Installation Instructions
Esri provides free student evaluation copies of their software and licenses that are valid for 12 months. To obtain a license code email Quentin Clark (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Anna Studwell: (email@example.com). To get set up with the software you will need to activate the student license code, download and install the software, and then license the product. Please note that ArcGIS is not compatible with a Mac operating system and runs on Windows only.
Step 1: Activating your student evaluation license
Review the ArcGIS Desktop system requirements to ensure the software will be compatible with your computer. For example, make sure you have Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 or later installed
Register your license by visiting the Esri student edition website. Note that you will be prompted to create an Esri online account if you do not already have one.
Enter your authorization code (ex: EVA123456789).
Step 2: Downloading and installing ArcGIS Desktop Advanced
There are multiple ways to obtain the software including copying it from the Geography department server or downloading it from the Esri student edition website.
Choose one of the following methods.
A. SF State Box Folder:
- Go to https://sfsu.box.com/v/ArcMap10-7-1 and log in with your SF State credentials if prompted (i.e., your 9-digit id number and associated password)
- Double-click on the ArcGIS installer called Setup.exe in the Desktop folder
- Follow steps from section E below, "Installing the software..."
B. Esri Student Edition Website:
- The ESRI Student edition website can be found here
- After activating your license code on the Esri student edition website, select the version you wish to download (10.7.1).
- Click on the "Download" button next to the ArcGIS for Desktop option
- Once downloaded, click on the ArcGIS_Desktop executable to unzip the files, accepting the default folder location.
- Follow steps from Section E, "Installing the software..."
- Select the destination folder where the package should extract the files (default should be something like: C:\Users\912345678\Documents\ArcGIS 10.7.1, click Next
- Installation files should be successfully extracted to your computer, leave the box checked for "Launch the setup program", click Close
- Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device? If you're the administrator of your computer, you should be able to click Yes
- Follow the advice on the Welcome to the ArcGIS Desktop 10.7.1 Setup program window, click Next
- Read through and accept the licensing Master Agreement by choosing the appropriate bubble, click Next
- Select the first option (Complete installation type), click Next
- Accept the default destination folder location, click Next
- Accept the default Python destination folder location, click Next
- Start the installation process by clicking the Install button. Note that it takes up to 15 minutes to complete.
- click, Finish
Step 3: Licensing
When installation is complete, the ArcGIS Administrator wizard window will pop up. Choose the Advanced (ArcInfo) Single Use option. Then select Authorize Now to launch the software authorization wizard.
Select the first authorization method (Authorize with Esri now using the Internet) and click “Next”.
Choose the first authorization option (I have installed my software and need to authorize it) and click “Next”.
Enter your name and contact information when prompted. Click "Next".
In the following window, enter your industry affiliation (Organization: Education-Student, Industry: Higher Education, Yourself: Student)
Enter the 12 digit authorization number (e.g EVA123456789) you activated earlier. Click “Next”.
Select the I do not want to authorize any extensions at this time option (extensions are automatically activated for the student edition).Click "Next".
Click “Next” to skip the evaluation extensions window.
A message will show up to confirm the activation of your product. Click "Finish" when activation process is finalized. The installation is now complete.